Monday, September 10, 2012

De-clutter


As I was beginning my journey and looking for more simplicity, something that DESPERATELY needed to be done was de-cluttering my life.  When I say de-clutter I don’t just mean that I had some clothes on the ground of my bedroom or some bubble gum wrappers in my truck (which I did). I truly had to go through every area of my life and make room for the universe to bring me better.  You see I was holding on to things.  Mentally, physically, and emotionally I had junk piled up farther than anyone would be able to see.  How did I let it get so bad? Why did I continuously add to the buildup? Well, I suppose I thought that keeping certain feelings, thoughts, and physical items would keep me in control of my life.  I knew those things, I felt comfortable with those things (even if they didn’t serve me), and I thought I could control those things.  Another reason was because I had a shopping addiction.  I loved to shop because it made me feel good coming home with new things. The problem was that  I WAS EXPECTING THE “THINGS” TO KEEP ME HAPPY.  I never stopped to think of why I wasn’t happy without new “things”. I was genuinely convinced that shopping and obtaining new items would keep me happy.  Boy was I wrong!  It is quite the contrary actually. Holding on to things left no space for great things to come my way.  The old items, feelings, emotions, and thoughts literally put up barriers forcing any greatness to a halt. 

Once I made the choice to clean up my life I began slow and easy with my external world.  I knew that I wanted my life to be organized in every area and for everything to have its place. Once I began cleaning my external world, my internal world followed. You see, I started to feel good! I felt good about the letting items go, giving to the needy, the order of my new world, the appearance of things, and the space that was created.  When I felt good, I attracted more good! 

What did I do? 

(WARNING: This is time consuming but will completely pay off in the end!)

Bedroom/Closet

  1. I bought a label maker.
  2. I bought containers for my shoes, hats, toiletries, belts, bags, and anything else that might be lying around my closet.  On each of those containers I had a label for what belonged there. Check out http://www.containerstore.com  for some great organizing ideas! 
  3. I went through my closet and dressers discarding any clothes, shoes, socks, hats, bags, bathing suits, and anything else that I had not worn or was not interested in keeping. (Three bags full went to the goodwill) 
  4. I organized my closet by color beginning with dark colors and transitioning to lights.
  5. I bought all white hangers so everything looked the same.
  6. I moved my bedroom furniture around.  Check out http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/applying-feng-shui-principles-to-your-bed.html  for the feng shui suggestions.
  7. I cleaned out under my bed!! I didn’t realize how much junk was under there.  I had old papers from college, ex-boyfriend boxes, and random knick-knacks that served no purpose.
  8. Finally I dusted, windex’d, vacuumed, cleaned every screen on my windows, and lit a few candles.  

WOW did I feel good after that day!!

Bathroom

I honestly never realized what a pack rat I was!  

  1. I went through the linen closet and threw away any products that I hadn’t used in the past six months. I made sure to check expiration dates for any other products that I decided to keep. 
  2. I refolded and organized any towels and wash clothes.
  3. I bought a stick on shower organizer for extra products that did not fit on my shower shelves.
  4. I bought new, more natural, bath products that were better for my body and environment.
  5. I cleaned out the medicine cabinet of anything that had not been used (checked expiration dates)
  6. I bought small containers for my Q-tips, cotton balls, tampons (sorry boys), band-aids, and anything else that needed a place.
  7. I scrubbed my shower and sink areas.
  8. I cleaned the floors and mirrors.

Ahhhhhhhh, that felt great!

Office/Computer 

(During this time I was an elementary school teacher so it was very difficult to keep my desk organized)

  1. I got a filing cabinet.
  2. I filed all lesson plans by month and seasons.
  3. I bought different size bins for storage of books, and supplies for myself and the students.
  4. I labeled EVERYTHING.
  5. I had the students clean out their desks as I cleaned out mine so we could all know the importance of being organized.
  6. On my computer, I saved any files from college to a flash drive and deleted them.
  7. I placed all documents on my computer into labeled folders.

Boy, I just felt better and better!  :)




People, Places, Things (Personal Life)

  1. Any person that did not make me happy I either stopped talking to or had limited contact with.
  2. I stopped watching or reading anything that had to do with celebrity gossip.
  3. I did not associate with gossipers or naysayers.  I would much rather have quality conversations.
  4. I watched what I spent my money on.  I only bought things if I needed them or was absolutely in love.  In other words, I didn’t buy things just to buy them.
  5. I listened to uplifting music or music that focused on love.  I personally prefer R&B music so I listened to a lot of Jennifer Hudson, Musiq Soulchild, John Legend, and anyone else that had a good, clean, positive message to send out.
  6. I stopped going out on the town and chose to go to the library (my place of peace) and study instead.
  7. I completely stopped drinking alcohol. Many times when alcohol was involved I made very questionable choices and I preferred a clear, focused mind instead.  
  8. I did more than I was paid to do at work. People quickly noticed and began to comment.
  9. I reconnected with my God.
  10. I began to take my life seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment