Saturday, September 8, 2012

Meditation


Throughout my journey I have randomly had annoying mental chatter that would creep in.  In the beginning, it was so bad to the point that it deterred me from achieving my goals.  One thing that I knew needed to be done was to quiet my mind.  When my mind was still, I was able to make clear and intentional decisions.  I was also able to see different paths to lead me to success.  So how did I quiet my mind?  Meditation! Truthfully, I had always thought meditation was a little “out there” and wasn’t for me. Why? I have no idea! I had never even tried it before.  There are so many benefits to meditation! To name a few, I personally reduced anxiety, was cured from headaches, had increased energy, was able to completely focus and concentrate, had increased creativity, developed impeccable intuition, was able to control my thoughts, gained greater wisdom, and experienced a feeling of oneness that I never knew existed.

My introduction to meditation came through a yoga/pilates class that I was involved in at my local gym.  At the end of the hour long class there was a 5-10 time span dedicated to a guided meditation or “relaxation”.  This time came to be one that I genuinely looked forward to every class. I finally asked the yoga instructor if i could buy the cd just for the meditation music and was told that they were not for sale.  I went home and immediately went on youtube to see what I could find that was similar.  The music that I found was really great and relaxing but there was one problem... I had no idea how to meditate.  I didn’t know what to do.  I sat with my legs crossed and eyes closed listening to the music. Now don’t get me wrong, it was relaxing but I was always one that needed more structure.  I went online and began my research for a guided meditation program that was right for me and came across The Silva Life System.  Truthfully, I didn’t buy the program for about three months.  I continuously thought about it and it frequently popped up. First it was through email, then I heard others talking about it, and finally, my sister had gone to a seminar and actually met Laura Silva!  I took that as a sign and went online to buy the program to realize that it was on sale for only $67!! SCORE!! I bought it and began the program immediately.

In case you needed a reminder of the physiological, psychological, and spiritual benefits that meditation provides, I have made a short list for you :)


  • Stress reduction
  • Assists in weight loss
  • Aids in controlling thoughts
  • Relaxation of the nervous system
  • Increased energy
  • Relieves headaches and migraines
  • Helps in problem solving
  • Builds and enhances self confidence, focus and concentration
  • Increased sense of wisdom
  • Helps in discovering one's purpose
  • Allows for the feeling of enlightenment
  • Decreases worry and feelings of restlessness  
  • Allows for self acceptance
  • Brings harmony to your mind, body and soul
  • Influences positive moods and behavior through raised serotonin levels







No comments:

Post a Comment